Tuesday, March 1, 2016

When Life Stands Still

Have you ever felt that life was standing still?

As a young mother, I often felt that time was standing still, that my children would be little and needy forever.

When I was homeschooling my children in their elementary years, it seemed that time was standing still with the endless lesson plans, grading, and recording.

Time did not stand still. It marched on and now my children are adults and my personal care for them is no longer needed.

I find myself, once again, in a place where time seems to be standing still. I feel that there is something more out there that I can be doing to make a difference.

Can you relate?

Have you ever felt that hands on the clock are frozen? Maybe you have felt like your hands are tied behind you and you couldn't do anything to make a change?

When I hit periods like this I start praying. I pray for direction. I pray for an open door. I pray for contentment. I pray for opportunities. I pray because I feel stuck and I don't know why.

I can get frustrated because, during times like this, I don't know if it is my lack of contentment or if it is God's prompting in my life to prepare me for a change.

Regardless of the reason, I always end up feeling guilt. I feel that I should be happy where I am, willing to do the work that God has given me with joy. I wonder if I am listening to God or am I missing something and therefore missing out on what God has for me.

I will be the first to admit that I tend to set up stipulations for God to fulfill, for Him to show me His "will" for my life. Sort of like when Gideon when he laid out the fleece (Judges 6:36-40).

I've done this time and again. Sometimes God shows me clearly what He wants me to do and other times He makes me "wait it out" until I can clearly see what it is that He has for me.

As I sit here, I can say that I feel like I am standing still, that there is something I am supposed to be doing beyond what I am doing now, but I don't know what it is, so I'm in prayer. I am waiting (which is not easy).

During times like this my comfort comes in knowing that my God loves me and that He is with me. Even if this "feeling" that life is standing still simply subsides and I never know why it came, my God is with me and He is in control.

God wants to be there for you as well, no matter what you are facing. We need to learn to trust Him and to rest in Him. He is in control and will work all things out for our good.

Study to Learn:

These times of waiting call for prayers and affirmation from God Word.

Peace- John 14 (14:27)

God is with us- Hebrews 13:5

God is working His will- Philippians 2:13, Hebrews 13:21

God knows what He is doing- Jeremiah 29:11


No comments:

Post a Comment