Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Lonely Place

Have you ever wanted to curl up in the lap of God and cry?

Yeah, me too, more often than I care to admit.

What causes these times of loneliness? What events bring us to the point of being in a lonely place?

It is different for each person. We all have "weak spots" where certain people and/or certain events drive us to retreat to a lonely place, possibly even into depression.

For me, wow, where to begin?  Childhood was rough and set me up for a number of insecurities and an inability to handle when things do not go the way I had envisioned (being an oldest daughter doesn't help with that either). Even with a great husband and awesome kids, I still spend time in lonely places when I loss focus, when I come to a "weak spot".

One of the major "weak spots" lines in friendships. I am not bubbly and it takes a lot for me to trust someone. I also tend to quickly turn from someone who "breaks" trust. I have dear friends who live in other states but none where I am now and it is very difficult not to have a friend or two who I can really trust and pour my heart out to when I feel overwhelmed. Even more despairing is that when I've tried to open up, I felt I was shut down. 

So, what did I do? Prayed. It was something I learned growing up in a crazy home; turning to the Lord. Remember when I asked if you ever wanted to curl up in God's lap and cry? I've done that over and over again in my heart and mind as I called out to Him for help and strength when I was in a lonely place. 

God's Word, the Bible, is the other place I turn (that God uses to remind me) to find truth and comfort. Sometimes I just want someone to sit and talk to, face to face, yet all truth comes from God and that truth is written in His Word. When I am willing to give up what I think I need He shows me what I need.

What are you dealing with? Does someone seem to be standing in the way of your dreams or happiness? Are your emotions out of control? Have you thought that life is far too overwhelming to carry on? Stop. Pray. Pick up the Bible and begin searching. 

There is hope even when you are curled up in a corner sobbing your heart out. Even now as you read this and a tear rolls down your face. God says He is with us (Matthew 28:20). It's time to move toward Him and away for the lonely place.




2 comments:

  1. I have been in a similar place. In the past, I suffered depression AND I too also had the "weak spots" when it came to relationships with others. I thank God that he renewed me from that place.

    Just as you suggested, I would pray, turn to the word and seek God as to why this pattern would play itself out in almost all of my relationships. In the word I found Matthew 5:39.

    I also found that it wasn't just one thing, but rather a couple:
    - I lacked agape love aka TRUE LOVE ( 1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
    - I also lacked certain the fruits of the spirit: LOVE, PATIENCE KINDNESS & LONG-SUFFERING. All of which are vital for sustaining relationships of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that you read the blog and thank you for sharing what God is teaching you. And thank you for taking me to the Fruit of the Spirit. I so often need God to remind me of them.

      Galatians 5:21-23

      21 envy,[a] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

      Delete