Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Day Dreaming instead of Living

Have you ever watched a bird and wished that you could fly or watch a horse running free in a field and wanted to feel that freedom of reckless abandon?

What about whittling away time dreaming about the person you love and your future with them or allowing your thoughts wonder through plans of what you would do if you only had the money.

I know I've been guilty of ""day dreaming", actually, most of my life. Taking the time and mental energy to think about something I would like to see come to pass without any promise or reassurance that it will or could ever happen.

Ever since my husband and I have been married we have talked about the "what ifs" of opening a Bed and Breakfast on a large plot of land with a large pond and gardens to wonder in. A place that we could offer discounts to pastor and missionary families to relax and reflect. I now day dream about a small scale farm where I could raise small live stock and garden to care for them and us. Maybe even combining the  two.

See what I mean about using time and mental energy to think about something that I would like to see come to pass without any promise or reassurance that it will or could ever happen?

What's my point? 

Recently God convicted me about day dreaming. Why? Well it was in regard to not living life to it's potential because of my dreams of what could/might be and at times, how it all seems impossible (causing a feeling of defeat) were interfering with doing what He has called me to do here and now. 

Do I know what He wants me to do? Well, yes and no. I know He wants me to love Him (Dueteronomy 6:5). He wants me to love others (John 13:34-35). I believe He wants me to serve in my Church to see fellow believes strengthened so the Gospel goes out to those around us (Hebrews 10:25). Of course there are many other things that He wants from me but as far as a "job" or "career" I have no idea. 

Should I stop "day dreaming"? That is a question I am sure I will continue to wrestle with but the one thing that I must do is live in the "now" instead of in the "future". God is in control of my past, present and future. He knows what I am doing now; what I will do soon after I post this; what this evening hold for me; what tomorrow holds for me; what next week hold for me; what next year holds for me...am I making it clear? He knows. 

I must trust that He knows and that He will bring to pass what He has for me and that it will be what is best for me (Proverbs 3:5-6). If I live in a day dream that may or may not come true I will miss what is in front of me now. I don't want to miss the now moments, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment