Thursday, January 7, 2016

"I'm a Private Person"

"I'm a private person" is a phrase that I have been hearing a lot lately. I get what people mean by it because I have experienced the mindset that come with it although I didn't use the words "private person". 

Because each person is different and has had different experiences, the phrase means different things to each person that sees them self as a "private person"

For the introvert it means, "I'm overwhelmed by too much interaction with others and I therefore chose not to tell others about what is happening in my life. Communication can be draining."  

For the person who has faced abuse being a "private person" limits the possibility of being exposed to more abuse including ridicule and disapproval.   . 

For the person with insecurities (stemming from abuse, mental instabilities, or fears) being a "private person" is a safe place. It is a place to hide away from things that are disturbing to the mind and/or emotions. 

For the person raised in an environment where everyone is perceived as perfect, such as within a legalistic church body, the thought of "airing your dirty laundry" when it comes to struggles or trials is a definite "no", so they quickly retreat to being a "private person" to avoid becoming the topic of gossip or rejection.

These are just a few of the possible reasons for being a "private person" but the real question for a Christian becomes, "Is this what Jesus wants for me?"  

Another question for the believer is, "Does withholding who I am and what Christ has done (or is doing) in my life help others have a closer relationship with Him? Could they find courage in my story if I chose not to stay "private"?"

I do understand wanting to keep certain things "private" or hidden because I understand being abused and not wanting others to know what is happening. I also understand how abuse and temperament bring on insecurities, especially to the introvert. I also understand being raise in a church where most people seemed perfect and becoming a "private person" is the easiest way to hide from unfair judgement.

Something I learned alone the way is that my keeping "private", regardless of my reason, may prevent someone, who needs help, from getting help, based on what God has done for me. Is it my right, as a child of God, to withhold encouragement?

Here are just a couple of things that God tells us that He wants us to be...

Salt and light- Matthew 5:13-16

Beautiful feet- Romans 10:9-17 

And when you think you just can't do it...

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

If you have found yourself saying that you tend to be a "private person" or you think of yourself as such, examine what that really means and then compare it to what God calls you to be. If you find that your privacy is more important than following God's plan for you or you find it more important than offering encouragement through your life's story, then you may need to pray and ask God to help you find a balance between needing personal space and needing Him to embolden you.

I still struggle with how much, when, and who to tell about the things that I have gone through in my life. When I share it is because I want others to find courage in what I have been through. So often, I have felt alone, afraid, and without hope, and if sharing my experiences will help someone who is feeling any of these, I will share, regardless of how uncomfortable it may be, because I know it is what God wants me to do. How about you?






No comments:

Post a Comment